To schedule a confidential consultation, call (732) 572-0500
Kenneth Vercammen & Associates, P.C. 2053 Woodbridge Avenue - Edison, NJ 08817

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Procedures for Filing of Foreign Judgments

The Uniform Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Act, N.J.S.A. 2A:49A-25, permits a judgment, decree, or order of the United States or of any other court, which is entitled to full faith and credit in New Jersey, to be filed with the Clerk of the Superior Court.
The Clerk shall treat the foreign judgment in the same manner as a judgment of the Superior Court of New Jersey.
Pursuant to Enron (Thrace) Exploration & Production v. Clapp, 378 N.J. Super. 8 (App. Div. 2005), foreign country money judgments are enforceable in the same manner as the judgment of a sister state which is entitled to full faith and credit, provided that the provisions of the Uniform Foreign Country Money Judgments Recognition Act, N.J.S.A.
2A:49A- 16 to –24 are met. Requests to record foreign judgments should be directed to the Superior Court
Clerk’s Office, Judgment Unit, P.O. Box 971, Trenton, NJ 08625. A kit for use in such matters can be found on the Judiciary’s Internet website at

No comments: